NIMBY and YIMBY related terms
Revision as of 16:12, 6 November 2018 by Tmccormick
- AHIMBY: Affordable Housing In My Back Yard.
earliest use found:
Sharky Laguana @Sharkyl 6:19 PM - 10 Oct 2016
Replying to @mateosfo
"Is there such a thing as a MIMBY? Or AHIMBY?"
Also used by Berkeley city councilmember Kate Harrison on 5 Dec 2017.
- AIMBY: Already In My Back Yard: the position that a given land use is already concentrated in some area, and should be distributed to other areas. For example, a concentration of low-income housing or social services facilities. [contributed via Twitter from an activist in San Jose, California, opposing new Affordable Housing facilities in her neighborhood].
- MIMBY: Mostly In My Backyard. From Leslie Poston, April 30 2018, https://twitter.com/leslie/status/991018253450330112?s=21
- NIABY: Not In Anyone's Back Yard: term to describe opposition to land-uses which should not be allowed anywhere - for example, unregulated industrial polluters. Note, this is meaning mainly expressed by 'NIMBY' in Jane Anne Morris, Not In My Back Yard: The Handbook (1994), pictured at right.
- PIMBY: Please In My Back Yard. (@yimbwiki 13 Oct 2017: seems term arose in Kruibeke Polders proj, Flanders; perhaps from consultancy @Sigmaplan? via @RichardBlyth7).
- QIMBY - Quality in My Back Yard. See our article QIMBY for more on this.
- VIMBY - Vaporware In My Backyard. "A term for somebody who claims to support housing but only if impossible conditions are met. See also: PHIMBY (public housing in my backyard)." From @MarketUrbanism 13 Aug 2018.
- WIMBY - Wall street In My Backyard.
- YIMBU / YIMBE - Yes In My Buildings that’s Underutilized / Empty.
Suggested by Tim McCormick, commenting on Commonweal Pod housing.
- Yes In My Back Yard (primary)
- Yes In Many Back Yards (original usage, 1988. See YIMBY_movement).
- YIMFY! - Yes In My Front Yard!
Used by group in Seattle's Roosevelt neighborhood, North Link Neighbors for 12th, in support of putting a light-rail line alignment in their area in 2011.
"YIMFY! Yes In My Front Yard - Light Rail Belongs in Roosevelt's Core. From April 28th 2014 rededication of Brenda the successful tunnel borer from the Capitol Hill leg, now working on the Roosevelt Station Link. Seattle's U District projects!"
See post about the situation at http://council.seattle.gov/2011/12/22/four-truths-about-the-roosevelt-rezone/.
Northlink Neighborhoods for 12th: https://web.archive.org/web/20050212143053/http://www.nln12.org:80/FAQ.html.
- YIMNDY -Yes In My Next Door. YIMBY operations conducted in (the often hostile terrain of) NextDoor online platform.
From: Tim McCormick @yimbywiki.
- YIOBY - Yes In Our Backyard. Apparently coined by Laura Loe Berstein (@YIMBYsea), Seattle.
- YIRBY - Yes in Rich People's Back Yards.
from Paul Musgrave @profmusgrave, 6 Nov 2018.
"Most important: support YIMBY if you can but always support YIRBY—Yes In Rich People’s Backyards. Oppose candidates and laws that restrict development in our most valuable parcels."
- YIYBY- Yes, In Your Back Yard. Pejorative variant of "YIMBY," suggesting that YIMBY advocates a) don't have yards of their own, and/or b) are really talking about building in other people's back yards.
Seen in letter to the editor of East Bay Times by George Doddington, of Walnut Creek, NOV 17 2016. https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2017/11/17/letter-yimbyers-actually-have-no-backyards/.
- YUPIMBY -Yuppies In My Backyard.
Yimby.Go @YimbyGo 9:07 PM - 21 Jun 2017
"Yuppies In My Back Yard"
Richard Hall @rihallix 4:39 PM - 20 Jan 2018
Replying to @SaveMarinwood @YIMBYwiki and 4 others
"#sb827 is going to create primarily Seattle like luxury apartments with rents 40% above the norm. YIMBY is changing their name to the more accurate "Yuppies in My Backyard"."
YIMBYwiki @YIMBYwiki 4:44 PM - 20 Jan 2018
Replying to @rihallix @SaveMarinwood and 4 others
YIMBYwiki Retweeted YIMBYwiki
#BeckyOMalley in Berkeley is on that angle already https://twitter.com/yimbywiki/status/881293237310210048 … #knowyourmeme #YupIMBY
"we used to call them Yuppies, but now they call themselves YIMBYs": iconic Berkeley anti-houser, #BeckyOMalley
More from [Stephens 2005]:
- BANYs Builders Against NIMBYs [Not In My Backyard Activists] [
- GOAH Gedoudaheah
- GOOMBA Get out of my business area
- GUMBY Gaze upon my backyard [Opponents of residential walls and fences]
- KIIMBY Keep it in my backyard
- NIMD Not in my district
- NIMEY Not in my election year
- NIMFOS Not in my field of sight
- NIMFYE Not in my front yard either
- NIMTOO Not in my term of office
- NITL Not in this lifetime
- NOPE Not on planet earth
- NORF No observable redeeming features
- NOT None of that
- NOTE Not over there either
- NUMBY Not under my backyard
- PIITBY Put it in their backyard
- QUIMBY Quit urbanizing in my backyard
- WIIFM What’s in it for me?
- Morris. Jane Anne. Not In My Back Yard: The Handbook. 1994).
- Stephens, Ric (2005). "From NIMBYs To DUDEs: The Wacky World Of Plannerese." Planetizen, 26 July 2005. https://www.planetizen.com/node/152.
- Stephens, Richard (2005b). Plannerese Dictionary. Trafford On Demand, 2005. https://www.amazon.com/Plannerese-Dictionary-Richard-Stephens/dp/1412047943/.