Equity Mapping Project
In the Bay Area and California, like other high-growth regions around the world, there have been dramatic rises in property values in recent decades. Additionally, in California, the Proposition 13 tax-limitation measure of 1978 means that there are sometimes large disparities in the effective tax rate paid by residential property owners vis a vis estimated property market values and a situation in which those owning for longer pay lower property taxes.
[Image Source: GeoCurrents.info http://www.geocurrents.info/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/California-Median-Home-Price-Map.png]
Equity Mapping Project (provisional name) is a project to map and visualize
- Housing property wealth gains
- Proposition 13 tax subsidies, i.e. disparities between taxable (assessed) and actual (estimated market) value
Geographic focus of the project: San Francisco, the Bay Area, and California (i.e. the jurisdictions affected by Proposition 13).
originally suggested by Tim McCormick as "Anti-Dynastic Wealth Mapping Project" on Twitter, 2015 (?) (add cite).
Tim McCormick @tmccormick 21 Aug 2015
@kimmaicutler @antievictionmap or we could just raise the #transfertax on all property, make the donation non-voluntary. Few % = big tax $$$
Thread 5 Sep 2016:
Dave Guarino @allafarce
Has anyone already done a property-level view of Prop 13 assessed/market values? Seems like data is there.
Kim-Mai Cutler @kimmaicutler
Replying to @tbuck0 @allafarce @markasaurus
A regionwide map of the valuation differentials between assessments & market value would be fascinating.
note from a project member:
"In general it would be ideal to have a name and general messaging that uses very simple, persuasive language to make it accessible to people who don't geek out on policy. In my mind, a big part of what makes this data so powerful is that once you surface it, you can trigger a strong, emotional response since it's immediately obvious to regular people how important and unfair it is, particularly because they can connect it to their own neighborhood and people they know. For example "Prop. 13 subsidies" - for almost everyone, the word "subsidy" triggers a basic sense of unfairness, particularly when it's not paired by something obviously important, like "subsidies to help poor people get health care" or whatnot."
compare: "Anti-Eviction Mapping Project". References older organizations e.g Mission Anti-Displacement Coalition.
Property Gains and Tax Subsidies Map
Data and Mapping Resources
- San Francisco Indicator Project Geographic Boundaries Interactive Map - This allows overlays of various divisions (Toggle Layers in Top Nav). Speaks to our question of what areas to define within the City. Possible divisions: Analysis Neighborhoods, Planning Neighborhoods, Supervisor Districts, 2010 Census Tracts, Zip Codes, Census Tracts 2000, CTA TAZ Districts, Voting Precincts, Police Department Districts, School Attendance Areas...NOTE: Planning Districts for the most part respect the Census 2010 tract boundaries. http://sfgov.maps.arcgis.com/apps/OnePane/basicviewer/index.html?appid=e4927a261ae044959ec4d4932b047ff8
- The San Francisco Indicator Project - The San Francisco Indicator Project is a neighborhood-level data system that measures how San Francisco performs in eight dimensions of a healthy, equitable community. The goal of this project is to support collaboration, planning, decision making, and advocacy for social and physical environments that meet the needs of all citizens. http://www.sfindicatorproject.org/
- Property Location Map Search (San Francisco) Search by specific address or by pressing parcel on the map. A lot of information including parcel numbers on tabs http://propertymap.sfplanning.org/?name=sffind
- Map of San Francisco Assessor Blocks https://data.sfgov.org/Geographic-Locations-and-Boundaries/San-Francisco-Assessor-Blocks/ndp2-nsue
- San Francisco Open Data - Assessor-Recorder Data https://data.sfgov.org/browse?Department-Metrics_Publishing-Department=Assessor-Recorder
- San Francisco Assessments by Year and Neighborhood Code https://data.sfgov.org/Housing-and-Buildings/Assessments-by-Year-and-Neighborhood-Code/qxzx-hau5
- San Francisco - Historic Secured Property Tax Rolls 2007-2016 https://data.sfgov.org/Housing-and-Buildings/Historic-Secured-Property-Tax-Rolls/wv5m-vpq2/data
- San Francisco City Lots - Assessor Parcels Map https://data.sfgov.org/Geographic-Locations-and-Boundaries/City-Lots/45et-ht7c
- SF Authority Housing Parcels https://data.sfgov.org/Housing-and-Buildings/SF-Housing-Authority-Parcels/npvu-t8ed
- Alameda County - Property Assessment Information http://acgov.org/MS/prop/index.aspx
- Office of the Assessor, County of Santa Clara, CA (Property search by address, parcel number and map) https://www.sccassessor.org/index.php/online-services/property-search/real-property https://www.sccassessor.org/index.php/online-services/property-search/search-by-map
- County of San Mateo, CA - Property Tax and Assessment Lookup (by parcel number or address) http://www.sanmateocountytaxcollector.org/SMCWPS/pages/secureSearch.jsp
- California Association of Realtors - Up-to-Date County Property Sales Information including Median Home Pricing (with percentage changes) http://www.car.org/marketdata/data/countysalesactivity/
- California Association of Realtors - Historical Data http://www.car.org/marketdata/data/housingdata/
- Comparing Home Values and Trends between San Francisco Neighborhoods (Paragon Real Estate Group - Data from MLS via Infosparks) https://www.paragon-re.com/trend/san-francisco-multi-neighborhood-comparison-charts
- Bay Area Real Estate Market Survey (Paragon Real Estate Group - Updated) https://www.paragon-re.com/trend/bay-area-market-survey
- California Association of Realtors - Interactive Map - Current County Sales and Price with County Rankings (Can choose metrics like median price and percent equity sales) http://www.car.org/marketdata/interactive/map
- San Francisco Rental Market Trends - Detailed Breakdown https://www.rentcafe.com/average-rent-market-trends/us/ca/san-francisco/
- Property Tax 101: San Francisco County California Property Tax (Gives median property tax and median property tax as percentage of home value, median home value and median income) https://www.propertytax101.org/california/sanfranciscocounty
- Tax Foundation - Median Property Taxes by County 2016 (with interactive maps) https://taxfoundation.org/median-property-taxes-county/
- Most Expensive Zip Codes for Renters Interactive Map (zoom into San Francisco or other municipality and click for average rent by zip code; also includes a table with SF Bay zip codes listed) https://www.rentcafe.com/blog/rental-market/real-estate-news/expensive-zip-codes-u-s/
- Zillow - San Francisco Home Prices and Values https://www.zillow.com/san-francisco-ca/home-values/
- Real Estate Data for San Francisco - Trulia https://www.trulia.com/real_estate/San_Francisco-California/market-trends/ #sf #housing-market
- Census 2010 San Francisco Tracts Map https://data.sfgov.org/Geographic-Locations-and-Boundaries/Census-2010-Tracts-for-San-Francisco/rarb-5ahf
- Census 2010 San Francisco Census Blocks Map https://data.sfgov.org/Geographic-Locations-and-Boundaries/Census-2010-Blocks-for-San-Francisco/2uzy-uv2r
- San Francisco Census Tracts Assigned to San Francisco Neighborhoods (City-compiled map) https://data.sfgov.org/Geographic-Locations-and-Boundaries/Analysis-Neighborhoods-2010-census-tracts-assigned/bwbp-wk3r
- San Francisco Neighborhood Map http://sfgov.org/elections/sites/default/files/Documents/Maps/NeighborhoodPctMap_5-2017.pdf
- San Francisco Analysis Neighborhoods https://data.sfgov.org/Geographic-Locations-and-Boundaries/Analysis-Neighborhoods/p5b7-5n3h
- San Francisco Supervisor District to Zip Code List https://data.sfgov.org/Geographic-Locations-and-Boundaries/Supervisor-District-to-ZIP-Code-Crosswalk/v22h-ujnv/data
- California Census Viewer (Interactive Map - Census 2000 and 2010) http://california.us.censusviewer.com/client
- San Francisco Parcel-level Land Use Map https://data.sfgov.org/Housing-and-Buildings/Land-Use/us3s-fp9q
- San Francisco Zip Codes Map (with clickable statistics) https://data.sfgov.org/Geographic-Locations-and-Boundaries/San-Francisco-ZIP-Codes/srq6-hmpi
- Bay Area Zip Codes Map (with clickable statistics) https://data.sfgov.org/Geographic-Locations-and-Boundaries/Bay-Area-ZIP-Codes/u5j3-svi6
- Anti-Eviction Mapping Project. .
- Franklin, Zach. "Op-ed: Passing the torch – Intergenerational equity and the housing crisis." Berkleyside, Dec. 15, 2016. http://www.berkeleyside.com/2016/12/15/passing-the-torch-intergenerational-equity-and-the-housing-crisis/.
"My suggestion: a “Pay It Forward” program where homeowners give back a portion of their Prop. 13 subsidies to the Housing Trust Fund, with low-income homeowners exempted. If state law says it can’t be a formal property tax, we could just send folks an invoice, and assume their progressive Berkeley values will compel them to do the right thing. Some back-of-the-envelope math indicates that well-off, long-time homeowners sharing a quarter of their subsidies could raise over $15 million annually for affordable housing – five times more than Measure U1. We can leverage that with county, state and federal dollars many times over to fuel a massive affordable housing renaissance in Berkeley, and demonstrate a model that could generate billions statewide."
- Property Shark. Los Angeles County Property Tax Map: https://www.propertyshark.com/mason/ca/Los-Angeles-County/Maps/Property-Tax-Sqft-Map.